Business is booming at Batavia’s Championship meet

Batavia, NY — The numbers are in and they’re impressive to say the least. After completing two weeks of the 2019 live harness racing meet, Batavia Downs has reported unprecedented increases in handle from every source of wagering.

Western Regional Off Track Betting operates Batavia Downs and released the following numbers after the first nine cards of racing.

Export betting was up 36 percent, on-track betting was up 20 percent and WROTB betting from all outlets was up 10 percent. Total betting is up 30 percent or a total of $291,351 with an average increase of $32,372 per night.

“On Monday (Aug. 5) the track handle was up 90 percent while the total handle was up 127 percent from the same Monday last year. It was the fifth largest of all time since WROTB reopened the track in 2002,” said Todd Haight, Director/General Manager of Batavia Downs. “We were hoping to see increases as a result of our stakes programs this year, but we are ecstatic to be seeing it on our overnight product as well.”

The centerpiece of the 2019 meet is the $1.8 million New York Sire Stakes Night of Champions that will be held at the Downs on Saturday (Sept. 14) along with the track’s signature stake, the $50,000 Kane Memorial Invitational Pace.

Racing resumes at Batavia Downs this week on Saturday (Aug. 10) with post time at 6 p.m.

Back to Top

Share via