Columbus, MN — The Running Aces race office has processed 14 nominations for the 2022 Dan Patch Free For All Pace, which offers a $50,000 final that goes to post on Sunday (July 24).
Elimination night is Sunday (July 17) with each division going for a purse of $20,000.
Here is a complete list of the nominees, in alphabetical order with sire and trainer names:
1. A Major Omen (Art Major) — Gerald Longo
2. Alilthundadownunda (Malak Uswaad N) — Nick Roland
3. Caliber (Sweet Lou) — Maria Alvarez
4. His Beats Hanover (Somebeachsomewhere) — Jenni King
5. Imoutthedoor (Bolt The Duer) — Nick Roland
6. Little Rocket Man (Rockin Image) — Melissa Essig
7. Mac’s Big Boy (Somebeachsomewhere) — Tyler George
8. Major Offense (Art Major) — Kathie Plested
9. Numbered Account (Roddy’s Bags Again) — Justin Anfinson
10. PD The Big Easy (Sweet Lou) — Jenni King
11. Saddle Up (JK Endofanera) — Justin Anfinson
12. SB Bodacious (Voracious Hanover) — Rick Magee
13. Way To Close (Western Terror) — Maria Alvarez
14. Zanetti (A Rocknroll Dance) — Mikaela Del Giudice
The Dan Patch name has a rich history in Minnesota. The famous pacer that the race memorializes set his controversial 1:55 record at the Minnesota State Fair in 1906, and his home base was in Savage, Minn., which is less than an hour drive from Running Aces in Columbus. The city of Savage still displays images of the famous pacer on a regular basis and celebrates his memory with an annual summer festival known as ‘Dan Patch Days’ every June.
The first Dan Patch FFA at Running Aces took place in July 2017 and Firedrake (Dragon Again) was the winner for trainer/driver Nick Roland. Nine Ways (Delmarvelous) captured the event in both 2018 and 2019 for trainer Denise Maier. The Dan Patch was not raced in 2020 or 2021 at Running Aces due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The track, horsemen and fans are very excited to have the event back on the schedule this season as it is always one of the biggest nights of the year at the Minnesota oval.