Columbus, OH — In a little under one month, Scioto Downs will open its doors and wagering opportunities for the 2021 season. Starting on Tuesday (May 4), the season is expanded to 98 live racing dates this year with a 6:15 p.m. post time for each Tuesday-Saturday race card.
The Charlie Hill Memorial Trot, the first Grand Circuit event of the meet, kicks off opening week. The $125,000 open event is for 4 and up trotters and received 18 nominations.
The Next Generation, first held in 2020 for 2-year-old pacers, has been expanded this year to include 2-year-old trotters. Requiring a $10,000 nomination by March 15, with the nominator not needing to declare a specific horse until the box closes for the July 2-3 events, all four events have filled, each with a $150,000 purse.
Other big events include the #SendItIn Invitational on Aug. 28, older Ohio Sire Stakes on Sept. 4 and the Jim Ewart Memorial on Sept. 11.
Following Scioto’s 2020 season with record handle and a new wagering menu, the Player’s Pick-5 takeout will stay at 14 percent and the Pick-6 will now have a 15 percent takeout. The Superfecta, Super High-5, Pick-3, Pick-4 and Pick-5 races will all have 100 percent carryovers into the next race of that wager.
Follow the new @SciotoRacing Twitter handle for information on all carryovers, as well as news and updates for horsemen and fans.
When horsemen and patrons come to the track for the first time, many improvements will be noticed including:
– new concrete aisleways in the ship-in barns
– updated drivers’ room/lounge
– renovated bathrooms on the backside
– a more permanent detention area
– nine bath stalls installed in the paddock
– track resurfacing overseen by Dan Coon
– all on-track TVs will show the signal in HD
– concrete work on the apron
– additional benches and picnic tables, and updated deck in the clubhouse turn
– additional self-serve machines in outside patron areas
Closing night this year will be Saturday (Sept. 18), the night before Jug Week kicks off.
For more information about the 2021 racing season, visit the Scioto Downs website.