Chicago, IL – A representative of the Illinois Harness Horsemen’s Association told the Illinois Racing Board at its Aug. 19 meeting the Standardbred industry is not giving up, but certain things need to fall into place for it to get back on track.

“It’s not going to be good, but I’m hopeful,” IHHA Executive Director Tony Somone said in advance of his comments. “Horse racing is non-existent in the Chicagoland market and there is no plan for its future. It’s up to us to bring it back to life.”
Somone, speaking while a 19-race card for Illinois-bred pacers and trotters was being held at the Illinois State Fair at Springfield, noted that current law authorizes a racetrack casino in multiple south-side communities of the Chicago metro area. He said three entities are ready to apply for a license and racing dates—but they can’t because, by the same law, Hawthorne Race Course has control over any gaming application within a 35-mile radius.
Hawthorne did not hold its Suburban Downs harness meet earlier this year—the IRB eventually revoked its license—and filed for bankruptcy. The remainder of the 20 dates in November and December will not be held.
“There is an open license,” Somone said. “We don’t need legislative help for that. It’s in current law. It’s only contingent on the people in this room. The laws are a little vague and open to interpretation.”
The situation is complicated. Despite the fact Hawthorne ended its Thoroughbred meet prematurely in July given its financial problems, it applied to the IRB for 2027 racing dates. It did not specify the number of dates—or reasons for the application—but submitted this: Thoroughbred meet from March 27 through October 31, and Standardbred from January 2 through December 26. Usually, such applications list the number of actual days of racing.
The issue of the Hawthorne application did not come up at the IRB meeting with the exception of Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association president Chris Block, who said the racing industry is “confused” about the application given the impending sale of the Hawthorne property to a non-racing entity.
“We all wanted (Hawthorne and its casino project) to succeed, and this disappointed us greatly,” Somone said. “The sooner Hawthorne steps aside the sooner we can plan for our future.”
Several people left the IRB meeting early to attend another Hawthorne bankruptcy hearing. The issue is Hawthorne wants to have all horses and residents vacate its backstretch three days earlier than the August 31 date that what was agreed upon.